• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Why do people tan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shlumpeet

Bluelighter
I don't get it. It doesn't look good when you get an artificial tan.

I love pale skin. Not freckly pink tinted skin...but clear pale skin...mmmm <3

I don't like fake tan's either it just doesn't look right at all. This one girl I used to date used to go to the tanning salon so often that she started to look kinda orange. If you get a tan naturally under the sun in the summer it looks great but artificial tan's look kinda strange if you ask me :)

I don't get it. It doesn't look good when you get an artificial tan.

I love pale skin. Not freckly pink tinted skin...but clear pale skin...mmmm <3

Pale skin is unhealthy. What do you mean by an artificial tan?

Why wouldn't pale skin be healthy? The only reason I can think is the sun might burn you if you're not careful.

Plus, when you have pale skin it doesn't wrinkle like crazy and your face doesn't look like leather when you're an old person.

Because it's the Hollywood ideal? 8)

I spent many years trying to tan, but I have now embraced my naturally pale skin and wouldn't want it to be anything but. :)

I honestly hate the way fake tans look. So leathery and orangey....eeeek. I never found attractive at all. I like natural tans ...as for myself, it takes me forever to get a tan because I get extremely red first before gradually darkening. I have embraced my naturally pale yellowish skin ;)

I like being outdoors a lot, and I don't like sunblock. After coming back from the States, everyone is shocked at how pale I really am. I don't associate being pale with healthy times as I am not in my element in the cold :p

I like the sun :) It stimulates circulation on the skin and makes me sweat. When I've a cold or feel heavy, I lay out in the sun and get better quickly.

Easy question people tan because they love cancer. Its like why do people smoke. They also do it because they have an underlying hate for their bodies, or to look orange and in the future have leathery skin.

Strange how not to long ago it was considered low class to have a tan and you looked rich if you were pale.

Im also a fan of light skin. Perhaps because i associate tanning with people who dont like their bodies or like cancer, both things im not attracted too.

I have very pale skin and absolutely never tan - I actually have quite a good sun resistance though and don't burn easily - I just never, ever tan.
I do use fake tan because a bit of colour on me just looks better - I'm so pale that it can wash out my features and even make me look a bit sick. The tan just gives me a bit more 'life'!

Well personally, I have some psoriasis on my knee and a tan every once in a while keeps it from flaring up -- its really not good for you, though, it gives you cancer.

Easy question people tan because they love cancer. Its like why do people smoke. They also do it because they have an underlying hate for their bodies, or to look orange and in the future have leathery skin.

Strange how not to long ago it was considered low class to have a tan and you looked rich if you were pale.

Im also a fan of light skin. Perhaps because i associate tanning with people who dont like their bodies or like cancer, both things im not attracted too.

I see pale people as people who hate their brains and bones. The only way for humans to get healthy amounts of Vitamin D is tanning.

I see pale people as people who hate their brains and bones. The only way for humans to get healthy amounts of Vitamin D is tanning.

I dont consider being out in the sun tanning. If your tanning then your tanning but if your outside with friends and you get tan thats just a product of being outside, not tanning.

Ppl tell you that you look better with one. Plus I feel less fat when I look at my stomach for some reason so my bf encourages it.

Tanning makes you feel good. And not everybody who uses tanning beds have orange leathery skin. Yes, it is harmful... but I'm sure many ppl here on BlueLight do much more harmful things to there body. Also if you have a muscular body then it looks much better tanned then if you were pale and white.

I dont consider being out in the sun tanning. If your tanning then your tanning but if your outside with friends and you get tan thats just a product of being outside, not tanning.

It doesn't matter what you consider it. Exposure of your skin to UV-B rays , whether from the sun or from a fluorescent tanning lamp, induces the same physiological changes and produces the same Vitamin D from cholesterol. Routine exposure to UV-B is a necessity for long term human health. While too much sun can increase your risk of skin cancer, too little sun increases your risk of every other type of cancer a whole lot more.

Tanning regularly (at a salon) is actually really unhealthy. It ups your chance of developing melanoma like crazy (not to mention the premature aging factor). That being said, a bit of time in a tanning bed can be beneficial to people suffering from SAD & certain skin conditions -- If you can't get a bit of Vitamin D naturally by being outside, it's def. a viable solution.

I personally think people become addicted to tanning - I used to work at a salon & the term tanorexic is a very real phenomenon.

And... tanning in a booth is the same kind of tan you'd get from the sun, you are just getting a more intense level of uva/uvb so your skin has the potential to become darker (orangy) than you might perhaps be able to achieve outside. So, it's not really an artificial tan.

And... tanning in a booth is the same kind of tan you'd get from the sun, you are just getting a more intense level of uva/uvb so your skin has the potential to become darker (orangy) than you might perhaps be able to achieve outside. So, it's not really an artificial tan.

Bullshit. That isn't the effect of the UV-B at all. That's the effect of the sunscreen / tanning lotion they use. It's become hard to find a sunscreen or tanning lotion that isn't adulterated with a tanning accelerator like dihydroxyacetone, or other biologically active ingredients like L-tyrosine, menthol, or copper. These products are what lead to the poor results.

^ that's what i meant. Just that tanning in a booth isn't 'artificial'. It's a real tan, just like you'd get from being outdoors. But you will get far darker, much faster due to the high levels you are exposing yourself to in a booth.

I don't generally think people look orangy when they are deeply tanned -- I think for most people it's just the shock of going from pasty to dark in an unnatural amount of time that leads to that perception. Not all lotions contain tint/dha/etc., but the ones that do def. create the pleather/dayglo skin effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.